Wednesday, October 14, 2009

California Vetoed: AB 513 & SB 257

Two breastfeeding bills have been on the governor's desk. Both were vetoed this week. :(
Veto Messages:

AB 513 (DE LEON):
To the Members of the California State Assembly:
I am returning Assembly Bill 513 without my signature.
I share the author's interest in promoting safer, healthier outcomes for mothers and their children. My Administration has several programs dedicated to promoting and encouraging mothers to breastfeed their infants for the multitude of health benefits it provides.
However, the addition of a new mandate, no matter how small, will only serve to increase theoverall cost of health care. This, like other mandates, only increases cost in an environment inwhich health coverage is increasingly expensive.
California has over 40 mandates on its health care service plans and health insurance policies.
While these mandates are well-intentioned, the costs associated with the cumulative effect of these mandates mean that these costs are passed through to the purchaser and consumer.
I continue to have serious concerns about the rising costs of healthcare and must weigh the potential benefits of a mandate with the comprehensive costs to the entire delivery system - and for that reason, I cannot support this bill.

Sincerely,
Arnold Schwarzenegger

SB 257 (Pavley)

To the Members of the California State Senate:
I am returning Senate Bill 257 without my signature.
This bill would require every state agency and department, including local offices, when notified by a female employee that she is nearing maternity leave, to notify the employee of information regarding lactation accommodation on the Internet Web site of theDepartment of Public Health.
While I appreciate the author's intent, I believe that this bill is unnecessary. Current law already requires that accommodation be made for lactating employees. I do not believe it has been adequately demonstrated that employees are unaware of their options.
For these reasons, I am unable to sign this bill.

Sincerely,
Arnold Schwarzenegger

1 comment:

rae said...

That is horrible, how can you read that bill and not sign it? It makes me so sad.